Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Blog Thinger....

So Ive apparently had this Blog for some time, but hadnt used it.
Im not much of a blogger and Im not really sure I have much to say but why not have fun with it.

Katsucon 16--Washington, DC
Is on the Horizon...My First Convention and my First official Cosplays. Ive heard good and bad stories from my friends but I dont mind waiting till after the convention to make up my mind. "Why go if otaku's annoy you?" Someone asked me one day, and my answer to that was simple-- I love to dress in costume and the Idea of costume design.
So the challenge has been taken on to come up with 3 cosplays in less than a month. I had not realized what I was getting into until it was too late. The idea of cosplay is very inexpensive, the actually hobby of it....will have a person scrounging for every penny they own. Not to mention it is addicting. But with a little Friendly peer pressure....and Im on my way to finishing 2 of 3 costumes.



Progress PT.1
Asuka: Neon Genesis Evangelion
(Pinky st. Version)


In the Anime, Asuka is 14 years old and from germany. But shes seen as being both German and Japanese. She is designated as the 'Second Child' and pilots the Evangelion Unit 02. The design on her shirt is pretty much the same design as the Plugsuit she wears when she piloting the EVA.

There is also the Rei Pinky St. Figurine that goes with this One, She is the Blue Haired Counterpart. And her cosplay is being done by my friend Makeba.



The Shirt
is all handpainted by myself with a couple of different fabric paints. The orange is my favorite-screenprinting paint. I didnt know what I was getting into with this but after a couple patterns and fidgiting with things I found something that worked and its looking great. The only thing left to do is pant a couple small things on the back.
The Wig
took forever to find. I couldnt decide between a straight with or a curly one. But Its like some stroke of genius and I started finding all of the bargains and better looking wigs and things! I decided on a curlier Pumpkin red wig that I found on ebay for only 23$. I cant wait to get my hands on it. Also turns out it can be styled with heated hair tools at a very low setting, so Im gonna try that to loose up the curls a little.

The Pants
just gave me trouble altogether. Makeba and I wanted our costumes to match seeing as how we were cosplaying together but at the same time didnt have a lot of money to spend! I finally found a budget friendly idea. Instead of 40$ USC Prachute pants, I looked around some more and found some Urban HipHop Dance pants for 20$. That put a smile on my face!

The Shoes
were bought at Payless and were painted red with some red fabric paint and black acrylic for the rubber soles. It was a pain in the but to do. I couldnt decide what parts of the fabric I wanted completely painted, then going back to the soles and making sure i hadnt missed anything. I purchased them a half size too small because the store doesnt carry half sizes. Damn my genetics for making me a 10.5!!! I may go back and get the size 11 just so that walking around the covention wont be so painful XD!!

The Backpack
she wears cant really be seen in the picture, but she has one. And that is in the making. Ive never sewed anything like it so its going to be a bit of trial an error and a learning process. I think im ready to take that on! Theyre shaped like triangles, oooor the little japanese Rice Balls (Oinigiri)
Like this little guy right here---->
And the Thing
in her hand, after tons of research and geekdom I discovered that its a "speared angel." Or in detail: it is an 'Angel' or Monster that her EVA goes up against in battle. and the 'Spear' is actually the Knife that her Eva uses in combat. Woo!!! But thats not being made....atleast not anytime soon!

But thats all for now of Costume 1 of 3.
Check back later for updates to this costume and for updates of the others!
J'ai finis...

No comments:

Post a Comment