Monday, January 18, 2010

Unagi Progress!

Progress Pt.2
Unagi: Popotan
(Humanoid)

In the anime, Unagi is a pet ferret that’s just kind of there. In one of the spin-off games "Unagi Fuku Warai, Unagi gets to be the main character leading you in mini games. After a certain point in the game You are allowed to transform Unagi into her Humanoid self.
I have never played any of the Popotan Games but I’ve watched the anime--The style comes off very child-like but the content is very mature!!



This project was taken out of my hands by my Grandma, So I just watched over the little details to see that the accuracy was on point. And to make changes as needed.




The Shirt/Dress
is the weirdest piece of clothing ever. I’m not really sure how to describe it. It has an asymmetrical off the shoulder neckline to achieve the droopy look. And when I wear it its kind of hard to keep up but it fits the character and isn’t too revealing it. Because it was Katsucon and its still winter, The main body is made out of fleece and the orange accents are plain cotton. For the bow at the bottom I was originally thinking of just tying the fabric at the corner, but after multiple tests it didn’t quite come out right. So my grandma made the shape of the bow out of fabric, and the fabric in the middle is sewn into the seam. Crafty Huh?!


The Buttons
on the Sleeves aren’t completely accurate--the character has 2 holes in her buttons but I only have 2. But I don’t see that as a Big problem, maybe something to fix if I decide to revamp the costume later. They are hand painted that lilac color that I had to mix myself--a lot of trial and error. The main Large button in the middle made from a very thin wood circle.

The Tail
Was my moms small part in helping with my first cosplay. It just plain craft fur, the brown sewn into the white, then sewn in a cylinder. Nothing is funnier than watching 2 women try to pull this tail right side out. It took at least 15 minutes to get it right. The tail is going to either be attached to the inside of the dress with a safety pin, or a button is going to be sewn into the dress so the tail can easily be buttoned on. My biggest concern was the two bells that went on the tail; I didn’t want to be that obnoxiously loud person at the con. The ringers inside were removed and the bells were strung onto the red fabric that was then sewn into the tail.
Thank you mommy!

The Ears
I originally made then out of clay it took me about 5 tries to get it right. Then after showing my grandma she took it upon herself to make a "better" version of them. The ones she made are lighter and are made from cardboard and the fleece used on the rest of the costume. They are lighter and the clips are durable enough to stay on the wig when I get it. I cant wait for that to come!

Lets See…what’s Left?!

The Wig
has been ordered and it’s the perfect length and style in my opinion. I’m glad its white and not the very light or silvery gray(now I know the correct spelling for the color!) that I keep seeing. The only alterations that need to be made is the cutting of bangs…seeing as how the wig has none.

[Speaking of which I think my bangs are uneven…O.o Maybe I should go to a hairdresser and get them fixed!!!]

The Ankle Tab
is the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen. After Looking for ways to make it on Cosplay.com and some suggested getting a rubber tube of some sort and gluing magnets into each end so that It can easily be removed! And the Tab that hangs off of it could probably be made with wire and cardboard of some sort!

J'ai Finis

No comments:

Post a Comment